Thursday, November 20, 2014

Moto G (1st Generation) LTE - BLTN



 Yes. The phone was released quite some time ago, but I only recently got my hands on one. I didn’t actually intend to write about the device since I wrote about the non-LTE variant over 10 months ago, but the device impressed me so much that I think it deserved a post.


Since the Moto G’s arrival in Singapore, there have been a lot of newer budget Android devices to choose from. Most notably, Xiaomi’s Redmi series of devices has pretty much taken over the low end segment of the smartphone market here. Starting with the Redmi, the Redmi 1S, Redmi Note (written review here), tomorrow, the Redmi Note 4G. All of which costs less than the Moto G, and on paper offer better specifications. Then you have the ZenFone 5 from Asus, and the Neo 5 from Oppo. Not to mention HTC’s and Sony’s low end offerings too. All great devices at low costs.



But there is one advantage that the Moto series of devices has that no one else does, and that is the near-stock Android experience and fast updates. While other companies are pretty on the ball these days too with updates, you probably won’t see them paying as much attention on their lower end devices. So unless you’re using their flagship devices, you’re out of luck. Unlike Motorola, which is already pushing out Android 5.0 Lollipop for the 2014 Moto X Pure Edition and Moto G.



Which was why when I wanted to get another budget device, my choice came down to either the Moto G LTE or the 2014 Moto G. Believe it or not, both devices actually costs around the same, with the Moto G LTE costing a smidgen more. In the end I went with the Moto G LTE over the 2014 Moto G for 2 reasons, the smaller size, and LTE connectivity. Though I do miss out on the better camera, the bigger screen, and dual speakers. So in the end, all it comes down to is whether having LTE connectivity is worth it to you or not since the rest of the specifications are pretty much identical on both devices.




When I reviewed the first Moto G, the few complains I had were the camera, the lack of storage expandability, and the lack of 4G/LTE. But those were easily forgiven considering the price. But with the Moto G LTE, it is pretty much just down to the camera. Though I do have to say, the camera is still very much lacking and plagued with issues found on the first Moto G.

But for a device that fulfils most of my needs from a smartphone at such a reasonable price, the Moto G LTE is easily one of the most underrated smartphone in the market right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment